Southwest Airlines to fly to San Juan, Puerto Rico (replacing AirTran)
Southwest Airlines (Dallas) and its wholly owned subsidiary AirTran Airways announced an extension of flight schedules for travel through November 1, 2013. In extending both carriers’ bookable inventory, Southwest introduces four new nonstop routes, including the first Southwest service from Des Moines to the West through Las Vegas, and the return of seasonal service in three markets. The carrier also announced new Southwest Airlines service between Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood and San Juan, a conversion from AirTran service in the market, beginning on September 29, 2013. Southwest Airlines begins its initial service in San Juan, Puerto Rico on April 14 with nonstop service between both Tampa Bay and Orlando. AirTran introduces additional seasonal flying to and from Florida.
Southwest’s new markets:
- Two daily nonstop flights between Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood and San Juan
- One daily nonstop flight between Nashville and Pittsburgh
- One daily nonstop flight between Atlanta and San Diego
- One daily nonstop flight between Des Moines and Las Vegas
- One daily nonstop flight between Jacksonville and Chicago
Southwest’s returning seasonal markets:
- One daily nonstop flight between Indianapolis and Orlando
- One daily nonstop flight between Jacksonville and Las Vegas
- One daily nonstop flight between Orlando and Minneapolis-Saint Paul
AirTran’s new markets:
- Seasonal service between Orlando and Houston (Hobby)
- Seasonal service between Orlando and New Orleans
- Seasonal service between Fort Myers and Columbus
- Seasonal service between Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood and Pittsburgh
Top Copyright Photo: Bruce Drum. Southwest Airlines Boeing 737-7H4 WL N944WN (msn 36659) with extra “Free Bags Fly Free” markings arrives on runway 9L at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.
Bottom Copyright Photo: Tony Storck. The special AirTran schemes are not expected to survive the integration into Southwest. The pictured Boeing 737-7BD WL N354AT (msn 36725) in the special Georgia Aquarium “Dolphin 1″ scheme is due to become N7724A with Southwest.