JetBlue Airways (New York) yesterday (June 30) implemented a new fare policy and also ended their “first checked bag free” era for regularly ticketed passengers leaving only Southwest Airlines (Dallas) among U.S. airlines that are not charging for the first checked bag. The goal for the airline is to increase revenue and to offer a varied level of service now embraced by most airlines.
The airline stated:
“When you book a JetBlue flight, you’ll choose from several fare options — Blue, Blue Plus or Blue Flex — based on what’s most valuable to you, such as number of checked bags, bonus points earned and change/cancel fees. No matter which option you select, you’ll get the award-winning JetBlue experience you know and love — the most legroom in coach*, free snacks and soft drinks, free DIRECTV® and SiriusXM® Radio, fast Fly-Fi® and more! Plus, if you’re flying coast-to-coast, our refreshing take on a premium travel experience is ready to get you there in Mint condition.”
The following fares are applicable for reservations on JetBlue after June 30:
The airline continued with their new rules:
TrueBlue Mosaic members. TrueBlue Mosaic members receive free first and second checked bags and any additional bags are $100 each. TrueBlue Mosaic members will not pay the applicable JetBlue change/cancellation fee, only any difference in fare when they change or cancel their JetBlue flight or JetBlue Getaways vacation reservation booked directly with JetBlue. The change/cancel fee will also be waived for any traveler on the same reservation as the Mosaic member; the change/cancel fee for any other traveler not on that same reservation will still apply. TrueBlue Mosaic members will earn an extra three (3) bonus points per dollar spent in addition to the TrueBlue points earned based on the Fare Option selected for flights and six (6) TrueBlue points per dollar spent on JetBlue Getaways. For a list of all of TrueBlue Mosaic benefits click here.
1. For Blue fares, the first checked bag fee is $20 when purchased during web check-in or at a kiosk, or $25 at the check-in counter and the second checked bag is $35. For Blue Plus fares, one checked bag is included and the second checked bag fee is $35. For Blue Flex fares, two checked bags are included. For Blue and Blue Plus fares for flights to or from Santo Domingo, Santiago, Port-au-Prince, Port of Spain, Kingston, Cartagena, Medellín, Bogota, Lima and Mexico City: one checked bag is included and the second checked bag fee is $35. For Mint fares: two checked bags are included. For all fares, any additional bags are $100 each. All bags are subject to size/weight and other restrictions. Other fees apply for oversized or overweight baggage. See http://www.jetblue.com/travel/baggage/.
2. All Members will earn three (3) Points per dollar spent on any individual flight operated by JetBlue.
3. In addition to the base TrueBlue points earned per dollar, if those JetBlue operated flights are booked directly on http://www.jetblue.com, Members can earn bonus points depending on the fare option selected as follows: Members who have purchased a Blue fare can earn an extra three (3) bonus Points per dollar for a total of six (6) Points per dollar, Members who have purchased a Blue Plus fare can earn an extra four (4) bonus Points per dollar for a total of seven (7) Points per dollar and Members who have purchased a Blue Flex fare can earn an extra five (5) bonus Points per dollar for a total of eight (8) Points per dollar. Members who have purchased a Mint fare can earn an extra three (3) bonus Points per dollar, for a total of six (6) Points per dollar. No bonus Points are earned if JetBlue operated flights are booked by phone or otherwise.
4.All reservations made one week or more prior to a flight’s departure may be cancelled without penalty up to 24 hours after the reservation is made. Changes and cancellations made 60 days or more prior to departure date: Blue : $70 per person fee plus difference in fare. Blue Plus: $60 per person fee plus difference in fare. Blue Flex: difference in fare only. Mint: $75 per person plus any difference in fare for changes for non-stop fares under $950 or connecting fares under $1,350. For all other Mint non-refundable fares, no fee only any difference in fare for changes.
Changes and cancellations made less than 60 days from departure date:
A) for Blue fares under $100, $70 per person plus difference in fare; for Blue fares between $100 and $149.99, $90 per person plus difference in fare; and for Blue fares of $150 or more, $135 per person plus difference in fare;
B) for Blue Plus fares under $100, $60 per person plus difference in fare; for Blue Plus fares between $100 and $149.99, $80 per person plus difference in fare; and for Blue Plus fares of $150 or more, $120 per person plus difference in fare; and
C) for Blue Flex fares, difference in fare only.
D) For Mint fares, for non-stop under $950 and for connecting fares under $1,350, the fee is $150 per person plus difference in fare; for all other Mint fares, difference in fare only.
Additional Change/Cancellation Terms (all fares): For changes, any applicable fare difference will be charged in addition to the change fee and are subject to availability. Cancellations are for a JetBlue flight credit only, valid for a JetBlue flight within 1 year from the date of cancellation. If you do not change/cancel before scheduled departure and you “no show” all money for reservation is forfeited.
5. Available at select airports only and Even More Speed price varies based on airport location.
6. Most legroom in coach based on average fleet-wide seat pitch of U.S. airlines.
7. Fly-Fi® is available on most flights, with more installations underway. Fly-Fi® is not available on flights operating outside of the continental U.S. For flights originating outside of the continental U.S., Fly-Fi® will be available once the aircraft returns to the coverage area.
8. DIRECTV® service is not available on flights outside the continental U.S.; however, where applicable, movies from JetBlue Features are offered complimentary on these routes.
9. Sirius XM Radio® service is not available on flights outside the continental U.S.; however, where applicable, movies from JetBlue Features are offered complimentary on these routes.
10. JetBlue Features premium entertainment on flights longer than two hours.
*Based on average fleet-wide seat pitch for U.S. airlines.
**EatUp® is available on flights longer than two hours. EatUp® Café is available only on flights between New York or Boston and Los Angeles, Long Beach or San Francisco. Available on flights scheduled to depart before 8:59 PM local time.
Top Copyright Photo: Tony Storck/AirlinersGallery.com. Airbus A320-232 N565JB (msn 2031) in the Tartan tail design arrives at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL).
Poll: If you are a regular JetBlue customer will this deter you from flying the airline?