Sunwing has made this announcement:
With the official start of its winter season on November 1, 2023, Sunwing is pleased to have brought nearly 100,000 customers on nearly 600 Sunwing Airlines flights across the country to dozens of popular destinations in the tropics, with 100% of flights successfully completed during this time period.
Over the past year, Sunwing Airlines has implemented several key measures to bolster its operational readiness for the peak winter season:
- Increased hiring of pilots and cabin crew to support winter operations and to account for any irregular operations, such as inclement weather events, including added reserve coverage for more remote regions in the country;
- Fortified its Operations Control Centre with several added positions across network operations, and increased various administrative roles across the airline;
- Enhanced its Flight Alert system to provide customers with more timely and consistent communication related to any flight disruptions;
- Enhanced its service letter agreements with key service providers to ensure operational efficiencies;
- Operating five aircraft on a wet lease basis with WestJet to support Sunwing’s peak operations, including leveraging WestJet crews to support as required, in addition to operating several aircraft on a wet lease basis with Smartwings to further support operational needs for the winter.
Sunwing announced its initial winter schedule in July 2023, which included significant capacity growth over the previous winter season, including more travel options to the customer favourite destinations of Cuba, Mexico and the Dominican Republic. New and notable for this winter season are packages from Toronto and Montreal to the Cuban destinations of Cienfuegos and Manzanillo de Cuba. Sunwing Vacations customers can also look forward to more vacation options for destinations in Pacific Mexico, including Los Cabos, Mazatlán and Puerto Vallarta, and more options for travel to Puerto Plata on the northern coast of the Dominican Republic.