Grupo Aeromexico S.A.B. de C.V. reported its unaudited consolidated results for the fourth quarter 2020.
KEY FINANCIAL HIGHLIGHTS FOR THE FOURTH QUARTER 2020
- On June 30, 2020 Aeromexico announced that it and certain of its affiliates had filed voluntary Chapter 11 petitions in the United States (“Chapter 11”) to implement a financial restructuring, while continuing to serve customers. The Company intends to use the Chapter 11 process to strengthen its financial position and liquidity, protect and preserve its operations and assets, and implement necessary operational changes to address the impact of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
- Grupo Aeromexico’s fourth quarter capacity, measured in available seat kilometers (ASKs), increased by 39.6% compared to third quarter 2020, primarily driven by a sequential recovery in domestic market recovery. Total ASKs for the fourth quarter decreased by 47.6% year-on-year due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Grupo Aeromexico’s fourth quarter 2020 revenue reached $7.2 billion pesos, a 53.5% increase compared to the third quarter of 2020 and a 58.4% year-on-year decrease. During the quarter, revenue per ASK (RASK) in pesos increased by 10.0% compared to third quarter 2020 and decreased by 20.6% year-on-year.
- During the quarter, Aeromexico recognized restructuring costs and total one-off adjustments of $4.9 billion pesos (most of them non-cash adjustments) from which $2.4 billion pesos impacted operating profit, mainly associated with restructuring costs, impairment and accelerated depreciation and amortization of property and equipment, among others.
- EBITDAR for the period amounted to negative $1.9 billion pesos. Excluding restructuring costs and one-off items EBITDAR was positive $83 million pesos, an improvement of $2.0 billion pesos versus third quarter of 2020 and a year-on-year decrease of $4.6 billion pesos. Fourth quarter 2020 operating loss amounted to $6.4 billion pesos. Operating loss excluding restructuring costs and special items reached $3.9 billion pesos, an improvement of $669 million pesos compared to third quarter 2020 and a year-on-year decrease of $5.7 billion pesos.
- Cost per ASK (CASK) in pesos, excluding restructuring costs and one-off items, was $1.709 pesos, a 3.8% decrease compared to third quarter 2020 and a year-on-year increase of $0.459 pesos, equivalent to 36.7%, mainly due to the reduced operations derived from the impact of the COVID 19 pandemic. CASK in dollars, excluding restructuring costs and one-off items, reached $0.083 dollars, a 2.9% increase compared to third quarter 2020 and a year-on-year increase of $0.018 dollars, equivalent to 27.6%
- Aeromexico’s cash position as of December 31st, 2020, amounted to $8.2 billion pesos, equivalent to approximately $399 million dollars.
- As December 31, 2020, Grupo Aeromexico’s operating fleet comprised 106 aircraft including five Boeing 737 MAX that resumed operations during December.
Grupo Aeroméxico confirms that its voluntary process of financial restructuring under Chapter 11 of the legislation of the United States of America, will be carried out in an orderly manner while it continues operating and offering services to its customers with the same quality that characterizes it, and will continue contracting from its suppliers the goods and services required for its operation. The Company will use the advantages of Chapter 11 to strengthen its financial position and liquidity, protect and preserve its operations and assets, and implement the necessary adjustments to face the impact of COVID-19.
AeroMexico aircraft photo gallery:
AeroMexico aircraft slide show: