American Airlines serves more destinations in Mexico, the Caribbean and Latin America from the U.S. than any other carrier. And next summer, that list will grow even longer.
American will add a sixth destination in Cuba with a new daily flight from Miami International Airport (MIA) to Antonio Maceo Airport (SCU) in Santiago de Cuba starting May 3, 2019. The airline will also start new service from Dallas Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) to Durango International Airport (DGO) in Mexico starting June 6, 2019. American will be the only U.S. carrier to serve DGO and SCU.
American will also add new service to some of its existing international destinations from DFW, MIA, Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) in North Carolina and LaGuardia Airport (LGA) in New York.
International routes announced:
|Cuba||MIA–SCU||Airbus A319||Daily||Starts May 3|
|Mexico||DFW–DGO||Embraer E140||Daily||Starts June 6|
|Aruba||LGA–Queen Beatrix International Airport (AUA)||Boeing 737-800||Saturday||Starts June 8|
|Dominican Republic||CLT–Las Americas International Airport (SDQ) in Santo Domingo||Airbus A320||Saturday||Starts June 8|
|Dominican Republic||DFW–SDQ||Boeing 737-800||Saturday||June 8–Aug. 17|
|Honduras||DFW–Ramon Villeda Morales International Airport (SAP) in San Pedro Sula||Airbus A319||4x weekly||June 7–Aug. 17|
|Honduras||DFW–Toncontin International Airport (TGU) in Tegucigalpa||Airbus A319||3x weekly||June 6–Aug. 20|
All new routes announced will be available for sale on October 8, 2018.
American also plans to increase service from its largest hub at DFW. As announced in March, the airline reached a lease agreement with the airport resulting in 15 new regional gates after renovating the Terminal E satellite, which is scheduled for completion during the summer of 2019. As part of the expansion, American will add new service to Valley International Airport (HRL) in Harlingen, Texas, beginning March 3, 2019 and launch seven additional domestic routes from DFW:
- Beginning March 3, 2019 new daily, year-round service:
- DFW–Augusta Regional Airport (AGS) in Georgia
- DFW–Gainesville Regional Airport (GNV) in Florida
- DFW–Yuma International Airport (YUM) in Arizona
- DFW–Meadows Field Airport (BFL) in Bakersfield, California
- Beginning April 2, 2019 new daily service:
- DFW–Monterey Regional Airport (MRY) in California (seasonal)
- DFW–Flagstaff Pulliam Airport (FLG) in Arizona (year-round)
- DFW–Hollywood Burbank Airport (BUR) in California (year-round)
These new routes are part of American’s plan to grow its DFW operations from approximately 800 peak daily departures today to close to 900 peak daily departures next summer.
American will also operate the following new routes next year:
- Beginning Feb. 14, 2019 new daily service:
- Reagan National Airport (DCA) in Washington, D.C.–Will Rogers Airport (OKC) in Oklahoma City
- LGA–McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS) in Knoxville, Tennessee
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) in New York–San Antonio International Airport (SAT) in Texas
- Beginning Apr. 2, new daily service:
- LAX–Tulsa International Airport (TUL) in Oklahoma
- Beginning June 8, new seasonal service:
- CLT–Cherry Capital Airport (TVC) in Traverse City, Michigan
International routes are subject to government approval.
Top Copyright Photo (all others by American and those listed): American Airlines Airbus A319-132 N803AW (msn 931) CLT (Jay Selman). Image: 403919.
American aircraft slide show (Airbus):