Belavia has made this announcement:
The United Kingdom and France imposed flight bans
Due to the decision of the British and French governments, we are forced to cancel flights to London and Paris from May 25 to October 30, 2021.
We are saddened by the current situation, which we cannot change. We apologize to our passengers. Passengers can refund the full price of tickets without penalties or they can change the departure date during the validity of the ticket*. To do this, you must contact the place of purchase of tickets.
* 1 year from the date of purchase for fully used tickets, 1 year from the date of starting the use of partially used tickets.
In addition, the flag carrier has also cancelled all flights to Vilnius, Lithuania:
Suspension of flights to/from Lithuania
Due to the decision of the Government of the Republic of Lithuania to suspend Belavia flights to / from Lithuanian airports, we are forced to cancel flights to Vilnius from May 25, 2021 from 03:00 to 02:59 June 26, 2021 by Belarusian time (updated). We apologize and express deep regret in this situation, that happened due to reasons absolutely beyond our control. Passengers can refund the full price of tickets without penalties or change the departure date. To do this, they need to contact the place of purchase of tickets.
Meanwhile the European Council issued this statement as a result of the illegal hijacking of the Ryanair flight:
The European Council strongly condemns the forced landing of a Ryanair flight in Minsk, Belarus, on May 23, 2021 endangering aviation safety, and the detention by Belarusian authorities of journalist Raman Pratasevich and Sofia Sapega.
The European Council:
– demands the immediate release of Raman Pratasevich and Sofia Sapega and that their freedom of movement be guaranteed;
– calls on the International Civil Aviation Organization to urgently investigate this unprecedented and unacceptable incident;
– invites the Council to adopt additional listings of persons and entities as soon as possible on the basis of the relevant sanctions framework;
– calls on the Council to adopt further targeted economic sanctions and invites the High Representative and the Commission to submit proposals without delay to this end;
– calls on all EU-based carriers to avoid overflight of Belarus;
– calls on the Council to adopt the necessary measures to ban overflight of EU airspace by Belarusian airlines and prevent access to EU airports of flights operated by such airlines;
– stands in solidarity with Latvia following the unjustified expulsion of Latvian diplomats.
The European Council will remain seized of the matter.
Top Copyright Photo: Belavia Belarusian Airlines Boeing 737-8ZM WL EW-455PA (msn 61421) AYT (Antony J. Best). Image: 939228.
Belavia aircraft slide show: