Deutsche Lufthansa (GDR) Ilyushin Il-18V DM-STA (msn 180001905) LEJ (restoration), originally uploaded by Airliners Gallery.
Leipzig/Halle will soon display this restored Ilyushin Il-18V registered DM-STA (msn 180001905) at the entrance to the airport. The classic turboprop airliner has been restored in the 1955 colors of Deutsche Luthansa (GDR) and was rolled out of the paint shop in September 2009. Deutsche Lufthansa (GDR) (East Berlin) was founded in 1955 in East Germany as eastern version of Deutsche Lufthansa (West Germany). However a court case in Berne, Switzerland in 1963 awarded the Lufthansa trademark to the West German company. Interflug (a shortened form of Internationaler Flug or “international flight”) was founded in 1958 as the second East German airline to operate charter flights. Therefore in 1963 when the Deutsche Lufthansa name was lost, Interflug was chosen as the new brand for East Germany’s “new” state airline operating international routes. Interflug was liquidated in March 1991 following the reunification of Germany. DM-STA poses for the camera at Leipzig/Halle. The airliner is owned by the Verkehrsmuseum Dresden as a technical memorial and should be placed outside the ramp area somewere in front of the terminal during next year.
Copyright Photo: CGN Spotter.