MALEV Hungarian Airlines (Budapest) has painted its Bombardier DHC-8-402 (Q400) HA-LQD (msn 4063) in the 1957 livery.
The flag carrier was founded on March 29, 1946, when the Hungarian-Soviet Civil Air Transport Joint Stock Company (Magyar-Szovjet Légiforgalmi Rt. also known as Maszovlet) was formed. The initial fleet consisted of 21-seat Li-2 passenger aircraft (the Soviet-licensed DC-3) and 3-seat Po-2 for mail delivery. In 1950, MALEV’s operating base moved from Budaörs to the newly opened airport at Ferihegy, where it has remained.
On November 25, 1956, Hungary acquired all the Soviet shares of Maszovlet and the state airline was born.
Copyright Photo: Ati977.
Video: History of MALEV: