Tag Archives: Air Kerala

Air Kerala defers its planned launch in India

Air Kerala logo

Air Kerala (Cochin, India) is a new Indian airline partially established by the Government of Kerala and registered as a subsidiary of the Cochin International Airport Limited (CIAL).

The airline was expecting to commence scheduled passenger operations in July 2015, primarily serving the state’s three airports. However this has been delayed again. The board decided to delay its official start until the move to amend the “5/20 rule” becomes clearer. According to this report by The Hindu “the ‘5/20’ rule allows an Indian carrier to fly internationally only after it has completed five years of domestic operations and maintains a fleet of 20 aircraft.”

Previously the proposed airline had planned to commence operations in April 2013.

According to Wikipedia, Air Kerala will be India’s first airline with a State government as one of the primary stakeholders. The State government, CIAL and other public sector companies will together hold 26 percent of the shares of the company, while the remaining 74% will be issued to individuals and private groups.

Read the full report: CLICK HERE