Nok Air (Nok Airlines Public Company Limited) (Bangkok-Don Mueang) and Scoot (subsidiary of Singapore Airlines) (Singapore) on December 13, 2013 signed a non-binding Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to start a new low-fare airline named NokScoot Company Limited. The MOU is subject to final negotiations and approval process.
Nok will hold 51 percent of the shares and Scoot will control the other 49 percent. Nok means “bird” in the Thai language.
The objective of the proposed airline is to operate a low-cost airline with wide-body aircraft on medium and long-hail international routes.
Top Copyright Photo: Michael B. Ing/AirlinersGallery.com. Nok Air’s colorful former Ryanair Boeing 737-8AS HS-DBD (msn 33821) arrives at the downtown Don Mueang Airport in Bangkok.
Bottom Copyright Photo: Micheil Keegan/AirlinersGallery.com. Will the Scoot brand go away of this temporary agreement is finalized? Scoot’s Boeing 777-212 ER 9V-OTA (msn 28507) rotates at Sydney Mascot.
Current Nok Air routes operated with Boeing 737-800s:
Current Scoot routes operated with Boeing 777-200s. Scoot will soon be adding Boeing 787-9s. Hong Kong was added on November 15, 2013, its 12th destination.
Nok Air video: