Scandinavian Airlines-SAS (Stockholm) and Airbus (Toulouse) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for the order of eight new A350-900 XWB and four A330-300 Enhanced. The agreement marks the launch of SAS’ long haul strategy of an extensive fleet renewal plan, options for more aircraft and a total upgrade of passenger cabins on existing fleet.
SAS recently launched a completely new service concept to create the most modern flight experience for our customers. The customer offer is backed by a comprehensive fleet renewal plan with 65 short haul aircraft already announced and initiated, now complemented with an extensive long haul fleet plan. Key deliverables within the strategy 4Excellence Next Generation have paved the way.
The first A350-900 is due in 2018, and already in 2015, the fleet will be upgraded with the first couple of A330-300 Enhanced to replace A340 when the current leasing agreements expire. In the meantime, SAS will commence the cabin upgrade of seven aircraft in the existing fleet.
SAS’ current long haul fleet consists of seven A340-300 and four A330-300 as well as an additional leased A340 in the fall of 2013.
Eight A350-900 XWB
· SAS will order eight A350-900 with options for another six aircraft.
· The A350-900 has approximately 20% higher passenger capacity than the existing A340/A330 fleet.
· The A350-900 is a completely new aircraft type incorporating advanced aerodynamics, the latest materials and system technology available.
· The Aircraft offers up to 30% lower fuel consumption per passenger seat.
· More comfort, larger windows and a quieter cabin resulting in reduced noise by half compared to e.g. A340.
· The A350 will be delivered to SAS starting 2018.
Four A330-300 Enhanced
· SAS will increase its efficient A330 fleet from four to eight aircraft by ordering four of the A330-300 Enhanced.
· The improvements include a new cabin interior, a 2% fuel burn reduction and a huge increase in range, making it a capable aircraft for all of SAS network.
· The A330-300 Enhanced will be delivered to SAS starting in 2015
Upgrade of seven A330/A340
· SAS will upgrade the passenger cabins on up to seven selected A330/A340.
· The upgrade will consists of new seats throughout the cabin including fully flat seats in Business Class, and throughout the entire cabin a new high definition full video on demand in-flight entertainment system.
· The Cabin upgrade is expected to be completed 2015.
In other news, SAS is supplementing its current Copenhagen-Newark route from June 28 through August 16 with a twice-weekly wet-leased Omni Air International Boeing 767 per Airline Route.
Copyright Photo: Stefan Sjogren/AirlinersGallery.com. Airbus A330-343X SE-REE (msn 515) climbs away from the Stockholm (Arlanda) hub.