EVA Air (Taipei) today (March 23) operated its last McDonnell Douglas MD-11 flight. The pictured MD-11F B-16113 (msn 48790) departed Taipei (Taoyuan) at 0840 local time as EVA Air Cargo flight BR 606 to Anchorage. EVA Air was the last operator of the tri-jet in Taiwan. China Airlines and Mandarin Airlines previously also operated the type.
EVA Air operated the MD-11 as a passenger aircraft from 1992 through 2003 and was down to just the one MD-11F freighter for today’s retirement.
EVA Air Cargo continues to operate the Boeing 747-400 freighter. EVA Air is considering adding the more efficient Boeing 777F freighter in the future.
In other news, EVA Air on June 19, 2015, EVA Air will be launching new nonstop passenger flights to Houston (Bush Intercontinental) (IAH).
Peach Aviation (Osaka-Kansai) is planning to add a fourth hub at Sendai for the summer of 2017 according to ZipanguFlyer. Sendai is located in the northeast section of Japan. Peach currently serves Sendai with a single route from its Osaka (Kansai) hub.
The Sendai Airport was involved in the devastating March 11, 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and then was subsequently flooded by the tsunami that hit the coast of Japan in this area.
The rising waters flooded the tarmac, taxiways and runway of the airport. The flood waters actually reached parts of the second floor of the passenger terminal.
EVA Air (Taipei) today (January 5) operated its last Boeing 747-400 Combi revenue flight. Flight BR 868 operated from Taipei (Taoyuan) to Macau with the pictured Boeing 747-45E (M) B-16409 (msn 28093). This leaves three passenger Boeing 747-45E aircraft (B-16410, B-16411 and B-16412) which are due to be retired from passenger service later this year.
The unique combi model seats 28 in first class, 86 in business and 162 in economy with a special cargo section.
EVA Air continues to operate the Boeing 747-400 as a freighter for its cargo division.
V Air (subsidiary of TransAsia Airways) (Taipei) on December 17 launched schedule low-fare operations. The first route was from Taipei (Taoyuan) (TPE) to Bangkok (Don Mueang) (DMK) using this 194-seat A321. The new airline will compete with Tigerair Taiwan. The second route to Chiang Mai, Thailand is scheduled to start in early January.
Top Copyright Photo: Manuel Negrerie/AirlinersGallery.com. Airbus A321-231 B-22608 (msn 6009) holds short of the runway at Taipei (Sung Shan).
Below Photo: V Air. The V Air crew waves goodbye to the inaugural flight.
Tigerair Taiwan (Taipei-Taoyuan) as planned, will launch scheduled passengers operations from Taipei (Taoyuan) to Singapore tomorrow (September 26) with Airbus A320s. The first flight will depart at 10:20 am local time in Taipei.
Tigerair, established in 2004, is part of the Singapore Airlines Group and is joining up with China Airlines which is entering the low-fare market with this joint venture. Tigerair is hoping the agreement will allow the brand to enter new markets in Taiwan, Japan and Korea.
The joint venture is between the China Airlines Group which holds a 90% stake and Tigerair holding the remaining 10%. The network will cover major destinations in Northeast and Southeast Asia, Hong Kong, Macau, China and Taiwan.
Copyright Photo: Manuel Negrerie/AirlinersGallery.com. The first aircraft, the pictured Airbus A320-232 B-50001 (msn 6187), wears “Taiwan” special titles that separates it from other Tigerair-branded aircraft at the Taiwan base..